Are fire extinguishers toxic?

Are fire extinguishers toxic? Fire extinguishers are an essential piece of safety equipment that can be used to put out small fires before they become too dangerous. While the contents of fire extinguishers are generally non-toxic, they may still cause harm if ingested or inhaled; however, if used correctly and in the right situation, they can be a life-saving tool. 

Fire extinguishers are an important tool to have in any home or business. They are designed to quickly put out small fires before they become a bigger problem. Fire extinguishers are designed for a specific type of fire. The most common types are water-based, foam-based, dry chemical-based, and carbon dioxide-based.

Different types of fire suppressants

There different types of extinguishers that use different suppressants. The goal of these is to remove the heat and/or oxygen from the fire and disrupt the chemical reaction that started it. These extinguishers have one of the following propellant sprays:

  • Carbon Dioxide
  • Foam
  • Dry Chemical Powder
  • Wet Chemical
  • Clean Agent
  • Water / Foam
  • Water Mist

A color-coded label should be present on the fire extinguisher that declares the class of fire for which it is meant for. Do not use a fire extinguisher if you are not clear what type of fire it can suppress.

Toxicity of each type of fire extinguisher

Is a water fire extinguisher toxic?

Water fire extinguishers are not toxic, but they do use a high-pressure spray that can cause physical harm if aimed directly at a person. They are commonly used for Class A fires, which are fires that involve materials such as wood and paper, and are suitable for use in offices, schools, and other settings.

Is a dry powder fire extinguisher toxic?

Dry powder fire extinguishers are versatile and can be used on a variety of fire types including Class A, B, C, and electrical fires. However, the powder inside the extinguisher contains chemicals which may cause harm if inhaled, and can irritate the skin and eyes. Therefore, it is not recommended to use dry powder fire extinguishers in confined spaces and they are more commonly found in outdoor applications.

Are CO2 fire extinguisher contents toxic?

CO2 fire extinguishers are designed to extinguish Class B (flammable liquids) and electrical fires by removing the oxygen from the surrounding area. While CO2 is not toxic, it is a suffocating gas and can be dangerous if used in confined spaces. High concentrations of CO2 can cause asphyxiation, which can be particularly dangerous if the fire is still burning. Therefore, it is recommended to use CO2 fire extinguishers in well-ventilated areas and if used, the area should be ventilated once the fire is controlled.

Is a wet chemical fire extinguisher toxic?

A wet chemical fire extinguisher contains chemicals which can be harmful if ingested, making it important to use it properly and safely. After using a wet chemical fire extinguisher, it’s recommended to ventilate the area as soon as the fire is controlled, as toxic fumes can be produced. These types of extinguishers are typically only recommended for use against Class A (combustible materials) and Class F (cooking oils and fats) fires, and are often found in commercial kitchens and restaurants.

Is fire extinguisher foam toxic?

Foam fire extinguishers are primarily used to extinguish Class A and Class B fires, and can often be found in places such as laboratories, factories, warehouses, and hospitals. While foam extinguishers are primarily water-based, they also contain additional chemicals that can be harmful if ingested. Therefore, it’s important to use these units safely, and it’s recommended to wear goggles and impermeable gloves when cleaning up foam from a foam fire extinguisher.

Proper fire extinguisher use

It is important to understand the proper use of fire extinguishers in order to ensure safety and to maximize the effectiveness of the extinguisher. Improper use can lead to injury or even death. It is also important to remember that fire extinguishers are only meant for small fires, and should not be used if the fire is too large or if the situation is too dangerous. To use any type of fire extinguisher correctly, your customers should follow the PASS method:

  • Pull the safety pin
  • Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
  • Squeeze the handle
  • Sweep from side to side

What happens if I get fire extinguisher powder on me?

If you get fire extinguisher powder on your skin or in your eyes, it is important to take immediate action to minimize irritation and prevent further complications. The powder can cause skin and eye irritation, and while it is not toxic, it can still have negative health effects. You should immediately rinse the affected areas with water and seek medical attention. It is important to visit a doctor or go to the hospital to make sure that no other problems have arisen.

Symptoms of nausea or vomiting may occur if the powder enters the body through the skin or inhalation. Breathing can also be made difficult and lead to coughing. People with lung conditions like asthma can have more serious respiratory effects if they inhale the powder and should seek medical attention soon after.

It is important to rinse the affected areas with water to minimize irritation and prevent further complications. The powder is mostly non-toxic in small amounts, contact with it will cause symptoms that usually improve after cleaning the area.

Dry powder fire extinguishers can leave dust residue behind after they are used and it is important to clean the area thoroughly to make sure you do not breathe it in or it does not get onto your skin. If you have inhaled spray powder from a fire extinguisher, it is important to get to fresh air immediately.

We believe safety is always a top priority.

Get a Call Back, a Quote or Schedule a Service

Send a Message